Spring is finally here, although with the recent freezing temps, you'd never know it.
However, the sun will be shining brightly this Saturday and it's a great time to get out with your neighbors to help beautiful VaHi.
Friends of Orme Park will be hosting a park cleanup event on Saturday from 9 to 11 a.m.
Volunteers are asked to tools, such as clippers, and gloves.
The group will be clipping near the park's main entrance and the Elkmont side of the park as well.
On Sunday, the group is inviting the community out for a potluck dinner in Orme Park at 5 p.m. For more details, visit the group's Facebook page.
Not able to make it this Saturday? Or just want to help out again?
Keep VaHi Beautiful, a group that formed in 2012, has scheduled its spring cleanup event for April 12 from 8 a.m. to noon near the intersection of Virginia and North Highland avenues. This will be the newly formed group's second major cleanup event.
Here are just a few guidelines offered by Group co-chair Key Stephenson. Read them all and get full details at Virginia-Highland Civic Association.
- Bring work gloves, rakes, weed spray, gas powered weed whackers, small scrapers for sticker removal, etc.
- Trash bags and latex gloves will be provided.
- Parents, please consider bringing (or volunteering) your teens to help.
For Business Owners:
- Donate supplies or refreshments for volunteers to use during the event.
- Consider what you can do to improve the appearance of your storefront – perhaps it’s time for some new planters and spring plants. See Mica at Intown Ace Hardware for guidance on what to plant.
- Don’t neglect parking areas. This is often the first thing your patrons see when driving into the neighborhood.