Virginia Highland businesses with city of Atlanta liquor, beer and wine licenses need to renew them before the end of the year, and there aren't that many business days available with the upcoming Christmas holiday.
Many businesses will be able to renew their alcohol licenses online in a two-step process. First, each business must complete an online renewal application. Once that is done, a business needs to go to the city's payment page for alcohol licenses. The city accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express. These payments are posted immediately.
Before visiting the application and payment pages, applicants must meet certain requirements to be eligible to renew online:
- Must have an active account with a valid business tax number and PIN.
- Current and not delinquent alcohol account financial status.
- The same owners and/or principals of your business as originally reported to the City of Atlanta through a tax application or a change form.
- The same location of your business as originally reported to the City of Atlanta. Any changes to the physical location require an approval from the Zoning Enforcement Division.
- The same legal entity/legal name holding the business tax certificate as originally reported to the City of Atlanta.
New applications must be submitted if there is a transfer of location, a change of operating status (nightclub to restaurant), and/or a change of ownership. For more information, contact the Atlanta Police Department License and Permits at 404-546-4470.
After Dec. 31, the online renewal service will no longer be available. Businesses will have to pick up the renewal forms from the License and Permit Unit office located at the Public Safety Annex at 3493 Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway. An appointment will then need to be made with an alcohol investigator to submit the renewal, make payment and schedule a License Review Board hearing date.
If current applicants fail to renew their licenses by Dec. 31, they must stop selling, distributing, manufacturing or storing alcohol.
For more information about doing business in the City of Atlanta, you can now go to the Business Tab at AtlantaGA.gov.