Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announced Monday the national search for the next general manager of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport has been narrowed to three finalists:
- Deborah Ale Flint, Director of Aviation, Oakland International Airport
- Miguel A. Southwell, Interim General Manager, City of Atlanta Department of Aviation
- Paul J. Wiedefeld, Executive Director, Maryland Aviation Administration
Carol Tomé, chief financial officer of
The Home Depot, has served as chair of the eight-member search
committee, which has worked with the international executive search firm
Korn Ferry to identify and recommend candidates to lead the world’s
The search process included an exhaustive look at the top aviation executives across the top 40 airports in the nation. Reed met with five candidates identified by the committee on April 17 and selected the three finalists. Reed will conduct a second interview and make a selection from these three names within 14 days.
Southwell, formerly the Deputy General Manager for Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, has served as interim general manager during the search process.
“I’m pleased to see this process move ahead and look forward to naming a dynamic executive to lead the City of Atlanta’s most valuable asset,” Reed said in a news release. “The new GM will play a critical role in maintaining the airport’s status as the world’s busiest passenger airport, while growing our air cargo capacity. Our airport is key to positioning Atlanta as an economic and logistics hub not only in the region, but the nation, and world.”
The new general manager will be responsible for completing the airport’s master plan, growing air cargo, generating new revenues, and other projects that will spur economic development for Atlanta and the region. The airport general manager reports to the Chief Operating Officer and the appointment will require Atlanta City Council confirmation.
The members of the search committee are:
- Chair: Carol Tomé, chief financial officer, The Home Depot
- Taylor Glover, president and CEO, Turner Enterprises, Inc.
- Cathy Hampton, city attorney, City of Atlanta
- Darryl Harmon, president – Southeast, Wells Fargo & Co.
- Louis Miller, former general manager, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- Ben Myers, political director, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
- Scott Taylor, president, Carter USA
- Loretta Walker, formerly SVP and chief HR Officer, Turner Broadcasting System
Moody’s Upgrades Atlanta’s Airport General Revenue Bonds