With some reports claiming that the flu is expected to peak next week, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta's Strong4Life has provided a list of power foods parents can try to help keep sickness at bay:
1. Kiwis: Packed with more immune-enhancing vitamin C than oranges, kiwis are in season all winter.
2. Cinnamon: With its antibacterial and antiviral properties, this ancient spice has been used to boost immune systems for thousands of years.
3. Carrots: Did you know these vibrant veggies were originally grown as medicine for a variety of ailments? Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A and the antioxidant, beta-carotene. They’re also low in calories and in season all winter.
4. Pears: These beauties are available all winter and make a tasty stand in for apples. Better yet, they’re a great source of fiber, which promotes both immune and digestive system health.
5. Leafy greens: Pick up some leafy greens, like kale, cabbage, collards and spinach. They’re available all winter, fresh or frozen. Plus, they’re packed with immune boosters like vitamin A, vitamin C and folate.